Freestyle Skiing

Kate Pettersen - Friday Dec. 6, 2013 16:00 ET

World Cup ski cross postponed due to extreme conditions

Race officials cancel Saturday's event

anton-grimus-cold-beard-ski-cross-world-cup-nakiska-cbc
Australia's Anton Grimus braves cold conditions during qualifications at the World Cup ski cross in Nakiska, Alta. Temperatures dipped as low as -34 C. (FIS)

The first ski cross World Cup of the season has been postponed due to extreme weather conditions.

Race officials made the call to postpone just minutes before its start time as temperatures dipped as low as -35 C.

"This morning we came out and the athletes got through their qualification," said race director Joe Fitzgerald. "They gave everything they could but the temperatures never got much warmer and the jury decided to postpone the final this afternoon."

Friday’s race, the first of back-to-back races being held in Nakiska, Alta., will now be run on Saturday.  The second race originally scheduled for Saturday is cancelled.

Women’s qualification results from Thursday will used to determine a start list for Saturday’s finals. Georgia Simmerling of West Vancouver, B.C., led the charge for the Canadian women finishing third in qualification.  Marielle Thompson of Whistler, B.C., finished seventh, Kelsey Serwa of Kelowna, B.C., finished 11th and Danielle Sundquist of Calgary, Alta,. finished 16th. The top 32 have advanced into the finals.

Four Canadian men advanced to the final after Friday's qualifications.  Brady Leman of Calgary, Alta., was the fourth-fastest down the hill and fellow Canadian Dave Duncan of London, Ontario., finished ninth.  Matt Leduc, of Comox, B.C., and Louis-Pierre Helie, of Berthierville, Que., finished 17th and 30th respectively, punching their ticket into Saturday's final.

It was a disappointing day for former world champion and X Games gold medallist Chris Del Bosco, of Montreal, Que., who finished 45th.  Youngster Tristan Tafel of Canmore, Alta., also missed the cut finishing 46th.

“It was one of my better runs of the week – I don’t know what happened,” said Del Bosco, who unfortunately won’t get a second chance Saturday due to the weather-related postponement and cancellation.

“I honestly thought I had a good run - that's the hardest part about it,” Tafel said.

- With files from Alpine Canada

Comments on this story are moderated. Comments will appear immediately but may be removed if they violate our Submission Guidelines. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then.

Submission Policy

Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that the CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are moderated and published according to our submission guidelines.