Swiss Olympic hockey team includes 8 NHL players
Jonas Hiller, Roman Josi, Raphael Diaz make the cut
Switzerland was the first of a cluster of countries who will announce their Olympic men's hockey rosters on Monday and Tuesday, selecting a squad with significant NHL experience.
There are eight current NHL players on the Swiss roster, with a handful of other players who previously played in the league before heading back to Europe.
The team includes NHL netminders Jonas Hiller and Reto Berra, defencemen Roman Josi, Rafael Diaz and Mark Streit, and forwards Damien Brunner and Nino Niederreiter.
Roman Wick, a former Ottawa draft pick, and one-time Dallas backup netminder Tobias Stephan are also on the list.
The roster was first published on the Swiss Hockey News website.
Among the players left off: Sven Baertschi, the forward who is property of the Calgary Flames, and Anaheim blue-liner Luca Sbisa. Those players were among a large list of reserves the country said it would consider in case of injuries.
Veteran defenceman Mathias Seger, who plays for the Zurich Lions, was named captain.
The coach is Sean Simpson, who starred in the late 1970s for the Ottawa 67's.
Switzerland is in Group C for the Sochi tournament, along with the Czech Republic, Latvia and Sweden.
The Swiss finished eighth at the 2010 Olympic Games, two spots lower than in Turin in 2006, where they famously upset Canada.
The roster of players, a mix of NHL and Swiss League players:
- Reto Berra, 27, G, Calgary Flames
- Jonas Hiller, G, Anaheim Ducks
- Tobias Stephan, 29, G, Geneve-Servette
- Goran Bezina, 33, D, Geneve-Servette
- Severin Blindenbacher, 30, D, ZSC
- Raphael Diaz, 27, D, Montreal Canadiens
- Philipp Furrer, 28, Bern
- Roman Josi, 23, D, Nashville Predators
- Mathias Seger, 36, D, ZSC
- Mark Streit, 36, D, Philadelphia Flyers
- Julien Vauclair, 34, D, Lugano
- Yannick Weber, 25, D, Vancouver Canucks
- Andres Ambuhl, 30, F, Davos
- Matthias Bieber, 27, F, Kloten
- Simon Bodenmann, 25, F, Kloten
- Damien Brunner, 27, F, New Jersey Devils
- Luca Cunti, 24, F, ZSC
- Ryan Gardner, 35, F, Bern
- Denis Hollenstein, 24, F, Geneve-Servette
- Simon Moser, 24, F, Bern
- Nino Niederreiter, 21, F, Minnesota Wild
- Martin Pluss 36, F, Bern
- Kevin Romy, 28, F, Geneve-Servette
- Reto Suri, 24, F, EV Zug
- Morris Trachsler, 29, F, ZSC
- Roman Wick, 28, F, ZSC